How to work with subject matter experts
Follow this step-by-step guide to help make working with subject matter experts run smoothly.
Choose your tools
Before you begin, choose a tool for managing drafting, review and sign-off.
You could use:
- Microsoft Word, with the Track Changes and comment functionality
Clarify the role of the SME
Before you talk to the SME, decide:
- Will the SME write content with you?
- Do you want the SME to be able change drafts?
- Do you want the SME to be able to leave comments?
- Who makes a final decision if there is disagreement?
- Will you send all pages together, or 1 at a time?
Get in touch with your expert, and check they’re the best person for the job.
- the project
- the content design and publishing process
- their role
Remind the SME about their role and deadlines when you send the content.
Iterate and publish
Evaluate the suggestions from the SME.
When a suggestion isn’t clear, start a discussion. Provide clear rationale for changes.
Sometimes, you’ll need follow your plan for disagreements.
When you’re both happy with the content, follow your process for publication.