Readability is about how easy it is for someone to understand a piece of text.
Why readability is important
Easy-to-read text means more people understand it, and can find it useful.
The Readability Guidelines include detailed guidelines on the following topics:
- Why people do not read.
- What users want.
- Creating scannable content.
- Getting the words right.
- Designing, not typing.
- Articles about content design
- Readability testing tools
- Plain language
- Tone and voice
- Words to avoid and specialist terms
- Part 1: Literacy and government websites – to the data!
- Part 2: Literacy and government websites – to the data!
- Low literacy users — Readability Guidelines
- Updating the Adult and Literacy Life Skills Survey: Estimating change in skills distribution since 2006 — Education Counts