New Zealand Government Design System (alpha phase)
A design system is a catalogue of reusable components, patterns and base elements you might need to build your website or app.
A design system for New Zealand agencies
We are building a design system to support designer, developer and content teams in New Zealand agencies do their jobs — whether that’s prototyping, designing, developing or writing content for the web.
The New Zealand Government Design System (the Design System) includes:
- reusable pattern libraries
- accessible, usable, well-tested user interface (UI) components
- documentation and style guides on how and when to use each part — and when not to use them — to make building digital products and services as easy as possible.
Check out the Design System:
The Design System:
- helps deliver a consistent experience for all users
- incorporates WCAG 2.1 usability and accessibility standards
- makes prototyping, designing and developing faster and more efficient, freeing up more time to focus on the most important problems
- facilitates flexibility and efficiency
- supports numerous web frameworks.
What it can do for you
The Design System provides elements and components, think Lego blocks, you can use to design and assemble pages with greater speed and consistency.
The components have accessibility and usability baked into them.
The Design System provides standard code examples in HTML and CSS.
To make it easier for you to utilise the components in the framework you currently use for your work, the system will support other web frameworks such as Silverstripe, React, Vue, and Mustache.
Content designers / web producers
The Design System helps you with content creation by providing best practice guidance on a wide range of:
- web components — when to use them and how they work
- user flow patterns.
Help test the Design System
The Design System is now in the first stage of testing (alpha phase).
Help us test components in the system and be one of the first people to see the Design System and contribute to its development.
To become an alpha tester or to receive progress updates on the Design System, email email@example.com