Tools that government organisations are using for working remotely
Choose from a list of cloud-based tools that government organisations have adopted for remote working — but always assess the risk first.
Before you adopt a cloud-based tool
You must consider the business context and the need to do your own risk assessment.
This is particularly important if using the tool involves classified information or has privacy implications for the customer or data.
Guidance on assessing the risk of using cloud-based tools:
- Accelerating public cloud: Right-sizing risk assessments (PDF 43KB)
- Assess the risks of cloud services
- Guidance — NZ National Cyber Security Centre
- SaaS security principles — UK National Cyber Security Centre
- Slack security review — UK National Cyber Security Centre
The tools on this page have been risk-assessed by various government organisations for their own purposes.
Other agencies' assessments can be a useful starting point, but their business risks may differ to yours.
Online collaboration tools
Business process mapping
Chat and video communications
Customer relationship management
- Loomio (collaborative decision-making platform)
- Facebook (social media)
- LinkedIn (social media)
- Twitter (social media)
- Yammer (enterprise social network)
Geographic mapping and analysis
- SAP Successfactors (employee engagement and information system)
- Sonru (video interviewing)
- Springboard (recruitment)
- Xref (reference checks)
Legal practice management
- Google G Suite (email, calendar, documents, drive)
- Diligent Board Portal (collaboration tools for board meetings)
- Microsoft 365 for enterprise (Office applications, Exchange, OneDrive, SharePoint, Teams)
Secure file sharing
- Amazon S3 (part of Amazon Web Services)
- Dropbox Business
- Google Drive (part of Google Gsuite)
- Objective Connect
- OneDrive for business (part of Microsoft Office 365)
- Sharepoint Online (part of Microsoft Office 365)
- Bitbucket (code collaboration and version control)
- Enterprise Tester (test management and quality assurance)
Cloud computing platforms
These host other non-cloud native software.
Data and Analytics Tools
- Amazon Web Services Data and Analytics
- Microsoft Azure data services
- Power BI
One-way communication tools
Help us update this list
This is not an exhaustive list.
Let us know about other cloud-based tools that your organisation has assessed which others might find useful.