The GEA-NZ framework provides an all-of-government (AoG) view of how the system architecture needs to support strategic goals, policies and investments.
The Government Enterprise Architecture for New Zealand (GEA-NZ) framework guides our transformation towards coherent digital government and includes a layered architecture framework.
The GEA-NZ framework is a toolkit to guide an organisation’s transition to working in a connected and digital world. It:
- provides a unifying common language
- categorises and describes shared product and services — common capabilities
- categorises and defines relevant standards and guidelines — digital standards catalogue
- defines sets of reference models and patterns — reference architecture
- defines and identifies government business capabilities — government business capability model.
Enterprise architecture helps you:
- understand your current business
- identify opportunities for change
- model your business goals and the capabilities and investments you need to deliver them
- design a future operating model that is technically and strategically aligned with AoG programmes and services.
At the more detailed agency and sector levels, the GEA-NZ framework offers:
- a ‘starter framework’ to help agencies that are redeveloping their enterprise architectures to align agency modelling to sector and AoG views
- an outline of the major components and relationships that agencies and sectors should model to maintain an efficient and effective ICT asset base and to support business transformation initiatives
- a set of reference models and patterns, focusing on common elements such as authentication and data interchange
- an ICT standards base.
- GEA-NZ Reference Taxonomies (XLSX, 385 KB) Excel workbook containing all 4 taxonomies.
- GEA-NZ Reference Taxonomies (ZIP, 1.2 MB) Zipped XML Document in the XMI2.1 format - this is all 4 taxonimies and context models.
- GEA-NZ Business Reference Taxonomy (ZIP, 427 KB) Zipped XML Document in the XMI2.1 format
- GEA-NZ Data and Information Reference Taxonomy (ZIP, 217 KB) Zipped XML Document in the XMI2.1 format
- GEA-NZ Application and Software Reference Taxonomy (ZIP, 373 KB) Zipped XML Document in the XMI2.1 format
- GEA-NZ Infrastructure Reference Taxonomy (ZIP, 258 KB) Zipped XML Document in the XMI2.1 format
You can still read information on the archived ICT.govt.nz website. Note that the reference taxonomies on the ICT site are out-of-date.
The government digital standards is a catalogue of digital standards and related guidance that can be used by NZ government agencies. It is formerly known as the Government Enterprise Architecture for NZ (GEA-NZ) standards reference.